30 July 2006

Interesting experiences

I've despaired of getting Chaplain Wozniak, the Orthodox chaplain out here. So I gave up and went to the Catholic service this week. I tried the Lutherans last week but they just didn't do it for me. There were some incongruities (why is the priest backwards? what is this communion in one kind? what's with the up and down all service?) but over all, not too bad. At least it is a proper liturgy with roots in the same practices I recognize.

Afterwards I had the obligatory argument about Filoque and papal monarchy with the priest. We were both having fun with it, and he invited me back any time.

Serendipitiously, I got Credo in the mail. It's 500 pages of Jaroslav Pelikan on the history of creeds in Christianity. w00t!

Also got Freakonomics in the mail, which is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. Crack dealers operate much like McDonalds, but with more shooting. I didn't know that. I mean, it makes a great deal of sense, franchises are a good business model.

BTW, a freakin' West Point graduate dethroned everyone else in the company for nastiest weapon I have ever seen. What are they teaching at West Point these days?

And from Canukistan comes the best idea I've seen all week.

http://krydoristan.blogspot.com/2006/07/simple-solution.html

3 Comments:

Blogger Tim Covington said...

As I've repeatedly heard,"There are no mediocre West Point graduates. They are either excellent or horrible. There is no inbetween."

10:51 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

I dithered about actually leaving the apartment today to go to church, but I did it. I'm not doing really well with being out and about today, and I don't know why.

I'm glad I went thought. For some reason, the choir wasn't there, and it was just a young man and a young woman chanting. I was singing along in the back pew, and the older gentelman sitting next to me complimented me after the service. I wish that they'd speed up the singing *just* a tiny bit.

I love you and miss you.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

I was looking at your profile and thought this article might be interesting to you...but I bet you probably know everything communicated here.

http://symeonsjournal.blogspot.com/2006/08/st-john-of-damascus-on-islam.html

Hope you're doing well.

7:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home