20 July 2006

Booooring.. .

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0717/p25s01-coop.htm

I like their two rules for fishies in a simulated digital fish tank. I do not think it is much of a stretch to apply these rules to human or societal interaction.

I'm stuck at TQ, more formally al-Taqaddum Air Base. USMC-run dump, and I ain't flying out any time real soon. Seems the Jarheads dislike to fly during the day. I managed to brute force myself back to Iraq time (stay awake for a day and a half, don't allow yourself to fall asleep until it is night time here, and make yourself get up at 0600 the next morning anyway). So I can't afford to go snooze somewhere because that would dink up my diurnal cycle even worse than it already is.

I have discovered I left my flippin' thumb drive in the US. This does not make me a 'happy camper'. My wife is, of course, going to mail it to me soonest, but I am annoyed. For at least another week I will not have my current pet project, nor any of the fiction I have been writing in the universe therein described. I am mildly annoyed.

Regarding the good news Jen mentioned, we are not going to commence with the Happy Dance until it is actually happening. But I think it is a positive thang overall.

My current read is Steven Brust's Dragon. I disremember whether I blogged about it on LJ before. I happen to love Dragon. It is, by far the best "war novel" in the fantasy genre. The characterization is better than almost any of the others. And the descriptions of military life and combat feel right. I reread it from time to time. I actually email Mr. Brust about it and got an answer back from him.

I read a Warhammer 40K novel which struck me as fairly entertaining pulp. Nothing more than what it is, which is pulp of a particularly specific breed. Not great literature for the ages, and nothing special. But better than I expected.

Boredom is possibly the worst threat in a warzone. I'd rather get blown up than get bored.

In case I hadn't mentioned it, my wife rocks. I know she ain't real thrilled with this whole seperation thing, but the second I got all mopey on the phone with her, she started trying to cheer me up. Strange thing is that it worked. I love her.

4 Comments:

Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Yanno, I really hate the fact that I understand and sympathize when you say you'd rather be blown up than bored.

Makes it hard for me to want you to stay "safe" inside the wire.

Foo.

Love you, though. Lots and lots and lots and lots.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Curmudgeon said...

This, John, is evidence that:

1) You have a hell of a wife, and

2) You climbed up out of the outhouse with a rose between your teeth and smelling of attar of roses instead of what you should have smelt like.

:)

Leon

5:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just read your better half's blogs, and followed the links.

Not even I am cynical enough just to shrug it off.

You want to stay bored, man.

8:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case I hadn't mentioned it, my wife rocks

I seem to recall that you had, in fact, mentioned it, once or twice. :-)

I'd rather get blown up than get bored.

It's generally a better plan to arrange that the other guy gets blown up.

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home