23 July 2006

Work as an antidote to depression.

I'm not terribly 'into' discussing my emotional state on this blog, but for the record let me say I've been pretty unhappy this week. It started when we ended up taking Ryan to the hospital, and didn't improve as I was worried about leaving. And really unhappy about it.

Yesterday was the pits. I was tired, cranky, and frustrated. So frustrated, in fact, that I kind of took it out in Jen's general direction.

So last night I did Compline, and this morning ate a large breakfast (low blood sugar does NOT make me a happy person) and changed up my work. I've been meaning to start weapon services and so today I spent all morning in the TOC, chasing folks down, stealing their weapons, and servicing them. That just means taking them apart, inspecting them, and annotating any deficiencies. This afternoon I'm going back with a handful of parts to fix some of the stuff.

Anyway, it has worked. I feel like I'm doing something useful and I like working on fixing this stuff. I'm feeling much better about life in general.

Had an interesting conversation with a guy I know who is a self-described CyberGoth (if that doesn't mean anything to you, don't worry). Seems he doesn't know the first thing about the 'cyberpunk' genre of SF, but would be interested if I could make some recommendations. I am not truly conversant with that subgenre, but am open to suggestions. The kid isn't a real big reader so I want something that will grab his attention with plenty of action. It's a major plus if it emphasises the cybernetics aspect of cyberpunk as well.

I also may be able to get him to take a look at Cyberpunk (the RPG) when I get back to Germany. Why didn't I think of this before?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean books like "Snow Crash" by Neal Stephenson?

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. And Gibson of course, "Neuromancer", "Count Zero" etc. There aren't any cybernetics in John Brunner's "Shockwave Rider" (ripped off for the show "Pretender") it's just eerily accurate about technoloogy and societal trends. Frank Herbert isn't usually considered a cyberpunk writer, but "Dosadi Experiment" is essential for cyberpunk philosophy.

Tending the body with food and the soul with work and prayer is a wonderful anodyne for temporary depression.

How's Ryan ?

8:45 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Ryan is up and about and home.

:-) He was released Monday and on a flight home on Tuesday. I was sorry to see him go, but he needed to get home.

8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd point your Cybergoth at Hardwired by Walter Jon Williams. Implants visible and hidden. Government collapsed and replaced by corps. Follow a rigger and street samurai as a deal goes bad. (Not in those terms, but it'd easily make a cyberpunk adventure) Also clearly written, so it's easier to pick up than Gibson. I'll second Snow Crash, but it doesn't have implants.

You've got my prayers on the other troubles.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gibson, "Neuromancer" is a great introduction.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home