04 April 2007

A little self-congratulatory bullshit

I've been Noticed lately. . .

In a lot of places.

The Thunder Run links to me occasionally.

A couple of my better posts have seen daylight on Veteran-American Voices, the Consul-at-Arms, and once, I even got quoted on Argghhh! and let me tell you, that had me buzzing for hours.

So it happened a few days ago that I received a link to this post wherein the Gray Dog declared me a "Thinking Blogger".

He should see my Livejournal, and he'd revoke it. Hehe.

  1. If, and only if, you get tagged, write a post with links to 5 blogs that make you think
  2. Link to this post so that people can easily find the exact origin of the meme,
  3. Optional: Proudly display the ‘Thinking Blogger Award’ with a link to the post that you wrote. (here is an alternative silver version if gold doesn’t fit your blog).
What he says about me:

This is a very intelligent, edgy and brash BLOG written by a current active duty soldier “Just a Decurion” with contributions by his military spouse, “A soldier’s Girl.” There is plenty of raw, in your face reality here, mixed with a great deal of history and excellently linked references that support the articles. You may not always agree, but it will make you think.


Edgy and brash. I like Edgy and Brash. That's going to be my new line up there under The Marching Camp. :) Anyway, my five linkages do have one problem. The first person I would nominate has already been nominated, Rurik of Veteran-American Voices. I was totally flattered to find that this gentleman had thought of me as his first choice and it would be cheating to tag him after the above-linked post. So, in no particular order:

1. Tigerhawk. If I'm jonesing for a topic to scribble on about, Tigerhawk has one. He also provides the links that go with his commentary in a fashion which inspired my tendency to attempt to cite source. I may not agree with him, but he'll provide both a worthwhile opinion and the start of citations to allow me to research it better.

2. Grim's Hall. I'm sort of cheating, as Rurik nominated him too. But in my own defense, Gray Dog didn't nominate him so I don't consider him completely off-limits. He addresses topics both familiar to me and unfamiliar, and I rarely come away from a post without a feeling that I have learned a little bit at least.

3. Siggie, Carl, and Alfred. He's a little odd, very flippant sometimes, and occasionally pontificates a bit much for my taste. But he's got a lot of good stuff to say, especially if you sit down and think about it beyond the obvious.

I have more nominees in this vein, but it would be presumptuous of me to nominate the likes of Bill Whittle or Victor Davis Hanson. And nominating my Beloved wife's LJ would open me to accusations of nepotism. So I'll pick a couple different nominees.

4. Sophia's Wisdom? is kind of my Sanity Check blog. When I get too wrapped around the axle about politics or international affairs, Sophia reminds me what's really important in life: Your kids, your spouse, your God, and not much more.

5. Ali Eteraz. Oftentimes strange and surreal. He also has Eteraz.org which is a Muslim reformist site. But this is his personal website, and for that reason it is important to me. You see, the War on Terror has only a few possible endgames. One of them is surrender and destruction of the West. Another is the sterilization of the majority of the Middle East by nuclear fire. Ali represents a hope for a way that doesn't require either. He reminds me that the Other is not a faceless entity, but a mass of human beings. Besides, you can't help but love a Muslim who identifies with Drizzt Do'Urden more strongly than he ever did with Mohammed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Consul-At-Arms said...

Thanks for the mention. I've linked back to you here: http://consul-at-arms.blogspot.com/2007/04/re-little-self-congratulatory-bullshit.html

2:32 AM  
Blogger David M said...

Thanks for the link, keep up the good work.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home