04 April 2007

Nancy and Bashar

OK, let's make one thing clear.

I don't particularly like Bashar Assad.

I really don't like his 'associates' in the Hizbollah.

I'm not sure visiting him for a photo opportunity is a Good Idea [tm].

But let's imagine this is the Ideal World, wherein the petty partisan bickering could be set aside in favor of advancing American interests in the world.

Imagine, if you will, Nancy Pelosi wearing a Good Cop hat. Imagine her taking dear old Bashar aside and saying, "Look, George is a lunatic. He wants to turn the Air Force loose on you and make what Bill did to Serbia look like a walk in the park. I'm your friend. I understand that you have legitimate security concerns in the region. But you have to give me something. You have to get your buddies to turn loose those Israeli soldiers and you have to crack down on those rogue elements within your government which might be supplying weapons and cash to the insurgents in Iraq. You have to give a little to get a little. Otherwise, there's no controlling George."

It could happen. And if it did, we'd never know until long after Bashar was out of power, and Nancy retired to write her memoirs.

On the other hand, I just am not that optimistic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ambulance Driver said...

"It could happen. And if it did, we'd never know until long after Bashar was out of power, and Nancy retired to write her memoirs."

Would that she could be so smart. Like you, I'd like to think she has a good motive, but the cynic in me thinks she's the Hanoi Jane for the 21st century.

Love your blog, by the way. Very perceptive.

5:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home