17 February 2008

It's Staff Duty Night!

Yes, folks. It's time for the glorious United States Army tradition of staying awake for 24 hours Just In Case some jackass attempts to steal the building, or a drunken private falls down the stairs, or the pizza guy gets raped on the third floor and the Chain of Command needs someone to blame.

So you get the Long Post.

In Local News, I have decided to endorse Robert Francis. My primary reason is that if the Republic of Texas decides to pay your fuzzy butt a salary, your ass should be in the courtroom and the office 5 days a week like the rest of your fellow government employees. Not out earning some ridiculous sum as a law school prof while also collecting a judge's salary. Perhaps I'm a cranky bastich. So be it.

National News:
There's a lot of whining on the ideologically pure Conservative front about John McCain. Yeah, he isn't the ideal candidate, and he's not my first or even second or tenth choice for Prez, for that matter. In fact, I can think of lots of people who I'd rather see in office. But you know who I absolutely DON'T want running the country?

Barak "Clueless Fuck" Obama, or Hillary "Sociopathic Wanna-be Totalitarian" Clinton

And staying home is effectively the same as voting Democratic. Sadly, the world is an imperfect place, given the strong two-party system in place in the US, you pick from the menu in front of you. I can't buy Big Macs at Long John Silver. So if I'm at Long John Silver, I don't stamp my feet and refuse to order because there are no Big Macs for sale. I pick from the menu. You can argue all day long about whether or not this is the best way to pick a chief executive for a nuclear-armed superpower with an economy big enough and complex enough that no two economists agree on how to make it work. I personally think there has GOT to be a better way, but then again I wouldn't be adverse to putting a knife in the middle of an arena and letting Hillary and Barak Obama fight it out. I think Hillary wins because frankly she's manlier than Obama. But I digress.

So given the choice between McCain and which ever knucklehead gets the nod from the Democratic Party, I come down with McCain. Grow up, stop whining, and accept reality. McCain got the nod, he's the dog we have.

Why do I care quite so much? Why do I not buy into the arguments that the Republicans should take four years 'off' to 'rediscover themselves' in the opposition?

I don't know. Might have something to do with the War. You know, that thing in the Middle East that's been going on so long that most of America has pretty much forgotten about it and moved on to worrying about American Idol and the verdammt Westminster Dog Show.

What's funniest to me about this uproar is the deep concern that some of these ideologues have that John Frickin' McCain is going to appoint (say it softly) activist judges.

No, really? What in the name of Klono's Curving Carballoy Claws do you think Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton is going to appoint? Strict constructionists? At this point continuing to fight among ourselves is self-defeating and self-indulgent.

Meanwhile, Berkeley is being Berkeley. Is it something in the water? What would possess any person to permit their underage offspring to make an ass of themselves like this?


Staying classy, American Leftist style. You want a bigger collection of pathetic losers, check out Zombietime. As usual, the Left pretty much goes for "shock value" and sad attention-seeking. My favorite is the exceedingly plain chick with 'fuck bush' scribbled on her boobs. They are the kind of boobs no one would look at if they didn't have silliness scribbled on them.

The pro-United States counter-demonstrators pretty much have the lock on coherent message, sanity, humor, and class. Some individuals only have it by a little bit, but this Berkeley after all. If anyone was completely normal they wouldn't be living there.


Speaking of stuff that makes my physically nauseous, there's Kosovo's anticipated declaration of independence. Hooray. Just what the world needs-another Muslim state run by drug lords and genocides and supported by al-Qaeda.



But on the plus side, there's a new Indiana Jones movie coming out soon. It appears to be full of win. Either that, or the trailer is all the best shots.

8 Comments:

Blogger Cassandra said...

Dear Lord, man...

I wouldn't wish the duty on my worst enemy but if it makes you this deliciously snarky I can only hope it happens again soon.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My favorite is the exceedingly plain chick with 'fuck bush' scribbled on her boobs. They are the kind of boobs no one would look at if they didn't have silliness scribbled on them.

Hmmm... and here I was, wondering whether this Isabelle Adjani-wannabe
was applying for a White House internship.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Army Sergeant said...

I do, however, occasionally speak for the Emperor of the Romans, and any request for Frankish troops to smite the infidel should be treated as an official pronouncement.

That and your bit about CQ alone win the internet. I'd link you, but I probably shouldn't be using my links page for 'milbloggers I enjoy reading' instead of 'milbloggers who actually don't mind being linked to me and who I enjoy reading'. Let me know if it's cool, though, and I'm so there.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Just A Decurion said...

What ever--with the caveat that I had a really nasty experience with the last time I had someone slap a link to my blog on a left-of-center and anti-war blog. If it becomes an invitation for moonbats to troll my comments section, then I'll ask you to remove it.

Just because I don't necessarily agree with you on certain things doesn't mean that we can't be at least somewhat civil.

Keeping in mind, if you ever decide to dig through my archives (and the posts up to Feb 08 are from downrange) that I do indulge in invective from time to time.

5:04 PM  
Blogger Just A Decurion said...

Correction:

Feb 07. 07, not 08. I hadn't had my coffee.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Invective? Is that what we're calling it now?

I tend to think of it as melting the computer screen and blistering the paint, as well as scaring the dog.

:-D

I love you.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Army Sergeant said...

We've been civil before, I think. In my alternate identity, I think I talked to you and your wife a bit through sinboy and his journal on livejournal.

I'll note that I'm not really left-of-center, though, just anti-war. I'm probably one of the more right-of-center anti-war voices, at least.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

I know very few soldiers who aren't *anti-war* as we understand war all too well. We do however, *like* to be able to do our jobs, as contrary as that may seem.

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home