07 January 2008

Death Penalty

I don't generally speak to the issue of death penalty. Part of that is that I think our justice system is badly broken and in need of some serious overhaul. Part of that is that I don't have the legal education to make sense of the justice system as it stands.

Part of it is that I really do fundamentally believe that my job, my role is to deal with folks outside the society who threaten our society. Cops and lawyers and judges exist to deal with folks inside society. If they stay out of my business, I'll stay out of theirs.

But I do like this on Big Lizards.

Oh, and I have now decided what I'll do if some weirdo gets the Republican nomination and Obama gets the Democratic one. I'm voting AGAINST Barak Obama. Watch this video.

Either Barak Obama is a liar and believes that he will not get called on his lies for some reason, OR
Barak Obama is too ignorant of what the fuck goes on in Iraq to be permitted to speak on the topic in adult company, much less be my commander in chief and give me orders to execute in Iraq.

Thanks for making my decision simple, dude.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dems might have had a viable candidate in Joe Biden or Joe Lieberman. But the top 3 after the Iowa caucuses are total nut jobs. Rational Americans should be scared to death of any of them as Prez.

But too many Americans are irrational. I will not say that Obama is unelectable. Rather, his supporters are irrational. I can only hope and pray that the irrational do not win the next election.

6:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Death Penalty

Ignoring various philosophical arguments for the moment, the practical problem I have with the capitol punishment is that it's impossible to make reparations should the verdict found to be faulty.

Our justice system is based on the idea that its better to let criminals go than to punish the innocent. This is the correct bias to have.

7:41 PM  
Blogger Celtic Dragon said...

With the problem that the more guilty criminals that go free, the worse crime gets, which at the end point means that society becomes unliveable, or the public resorts to vigilantism and the larger society breaks down...

5:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home