19 September 2007

David Rye is an Ass.

Dave Rye is a two-bit journalist at some small-time radio station, who made the following statement regarding the article published recently in the New York Times by a group of infantry NCOs.

"Pardon my skepticism, and certainly no disrespect for the dead Montana soldier, but in my time in the Army I never heard such a word as “recalcitrant” escape the lips of any Staff Sergeant. I doubt if it’s spoken all that much in Ismay, either.

"The soldiers had the help and probably the encouragement of a writer with an agenda, from a newspaper which has always had one. Its continually declining circulation now mainly consists of those who want desperately to consider themselves sophisticated as well as compassionate, even if that means always branding the U.S. as the chief villain on the world stage—-in fact, especially if it does.

"I await the inevitable onslaught from outraged liberals. (Is there any other kind?)"

My response, on the website in question and cced to his personal email, drye@northernbroadcasting.com , was the following:

Dave Rye,

I’m a conservative. I’m so conservative that as far as I’m concerned, every single Republican candidate for President is a fucking liberal in sheepdog’s clothing.

I threw the “fucking” in there so you’d believe I’m really in the Army.

Yeah, that’s right. I’m a 21B2O, a Combat Engineer Sergeant in the United States Army. 25 months in Iraq, spread over 2 tours. I’ve served in Tikrit, Tal Afar, and Ramadi.

I’m also reasonably literate. I object–and object strenuously–to your bigoted, ignorant, and generally foolish characterization of my fellow non-commissioned officers. I note that you had neither the testicular fortitude nor the moral integrity to attack the column while those Soldiers were alive to defend themselves. I also reject utterly your patronizing assertation that Soldiers, and NCOs in particular, at too ignorant to have composed the article in question. I may disagree with it–though I have not served in Baghdad and make no special claim to knowledge of conditions therein. However, if you wish to argue against the article, argue against the statement of fact and the interpretations drawn from those facts. Do not simply resort to snide insinuations about the intellect of a man who made them, a man who gave his life in the cause you claim to defend.

Oh, and there’s my wife, a United States Army National Guard Public Affairs Soldier, who might have heard the word “recalcitrant” once or twice. She’s almost as offended. You might hear from her as well.

Setting aside the personal insult, I find that this line of argumentation is inconsistent with a reasonable understanding of Conservatism. Sneering at Soldiers as ignorant and stupid is a behavior I have encountered time and again in stellar examples of the American Left. Really, it’s beneath Conservatives.

If you have any integrity, you will apologize to both the individuals you specifically slandered, and to the United States Army NCO Corps as whole, and you will do so publicly. Until you do so, I can only say on behalf of real Conservatives, stop being on my side. You are embarrassing me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jenna said...

Well done. Very well done.

Perhaps I am more used to this particular mindless thinking... my family got off the boat for the most part only a generation or so ago from Ireland - and headed straight to West Virginia to meet the few who got here early. People always assumed my gran was an inbred hillwomen, and my great uncles the same.

Knocked them sideways to hear them toss a quote from Chaucer into THAT linguistical brew.

What can I say? All I have is something from that same gran "Child, city folk just aren't all that bright. Smile, nod, and just keep walking."

Hopefully the author will accept your gift of a chance to remove his Birkens from his throat.

Wouldn't count on it though. But again, very well said!

7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Literate Army NCOs who know fancy words? Incoceivable!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not think that words means what you think it means.

I didn't realize 2 of the Op Ed writers were killed--I had assumed it was Staff Sgt. Jeremy A. Murphy who had died.

The more I read about this the more of an ass Rye becomes.

7:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

With friends like Rye, who needs enemas?

8:52 PM  
Blogger David M said...

Trackbacked by The Thunder Run - Web Reconnaissance for 09/19/2007
A short recon of what’s out there that might draw your attention, updated throughout the day...so check back often.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home