11 August 2006

Linkage

I mentioned a few posts ago that we had a SEAL KIA here in Ramadi.

The Navy Times has an article on that sailor.

Mad King Ludwig has always been one of my favorite lunatics, given that unlike most mad kings, he never killed or tortured anyone. He was content to work with art and architecture and whatever other scientific pursuits grabbed his fancy.

I also happen to LIKE Wagnerian operas. Call me wierd.

But that makes a nice segue into the next topic, perceptions and reality of racism.

If you imagine a stereotypical racist, what do you normally picture? A Southerner who voted for Bush? Or a New England country-club blueblooded aristocrat who gives tens of thousands of dollars to Democratic campaigns? Turns out the latter not only is likely to be a condescending asshole, but his neighborhood is a less safe place to be a racial, religious, or other minority than rural Texas. Funny how THAT works out My theory is that Southerners all had mothers who impressed upon them the importance of being polite, even to people you don't like. From my observation, this is not a New England, New York, or Californian practice.

How did the Iraqi Chicken cross the road?

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim Covington said...

My father was from Mississippi and was racist. He even admitted it. But, he hated the KKK and did his best to make sure that I didn't grow up racist. He actually had more of a loathing for what he considered trash (regardless of skin color) than he did for non-white people.
I agree with you. I think in the south that there are racist people, but we are taught to do our best to overcome it and not display it.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Sophia said...

I just read Malcolm X's autobiography, and he said basically the same thing. (Paraphrasing) Northern Democrat politicians say the right things and use black people to get votes. Then, they don't do anything. He said at least Southern Republicans are upfront about what they think and are not trying to trick people. Not that he trusted either party, he called the democrats, "foxes" and the Republicans, "wolves". I thought it was interesting that he saw this about 30 years ago.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

P.S. I can't believe how many diverse subjects you cover here. I can't keep up! Wagnerian Opera and Mad King Ludwig almost in the same breath!

God bless you!

12:45 AM  
Blogger Just A Decurion said...

Actually, Mad King Ludwig was a good friend of Wagner and supported him financially, so there is a bit of a connection. :)

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home