11 August 2006

Re-up time!

I have 7 years, 9 months of Active Federal Service.

Any re-enlistment means I'm going for 20. There would be no point to doing 10 or more years and then getting out. This will be the last time I'm eligible for a bonus, and that's a lousy B-zone bonus. 1B, to be specific.

What that means is that you take your monthly pay, divide by 12, and multiply by the number of months of additional obligated service. In other words, the number of months my new contract will go past my current contact. This matters, even though the new contract cancels the remaining obligation on my last contract.

So I re-enlisted for 6 years, and Fort Hood. This gives me $11,235 and change. Lump-sum, and I should see it in the bank account by the end of the month.

I'm going to go to Fort Hood some time in the spring (tenatively, end of April) and am guaranteed 12 months stabilization there.

I got an e-mail from Classmates.com, wherein they wish to tell me about a 10 year reunion for my high school class. Personally, I didn't much like those clowns when I was in school (with some exceptions), and besides I'm busy.

My work schedule just changed drastically, because they need an NCO to take charge of a small security mission on a nightly basis. W00t. Gets me out of the damn arms room, at least.

5 Comments:

Blogger Zero Ponsdorf said...

Congratulations.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Woo hooo! Congrats baby!

I love you.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Tim Covington said...

Hooray! Some things that might interest you:
1. You can get a free hunting license in Texas since you are active duty.
2. If you have small arms qualification from the army, you can use that if you decide to get a Texas Concealed Handgun License.

7:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you will be welcome back here in Texas. The August temperatures at Fort Hood will make you homesick for Iran, however.

FWIW, my HS 30 year reunion was last month. I didn't like those SOB's then, and 30 years has given me little reason to ameliorate my attitude. I did go to the website and look at the photos, and didn't recognize anyone....they are all strangers to me. Out of a class of 942 graduates in 1976, 38 showed up for the reunion. Spouses, children and other hangers-on brought the whole party to 70.

What is amazing to me is my own attitude towards them. I need to work on that.....

7:50 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Wait...12 months stabilization...

Does that mean you ain't going anywhere for that time? If so, then drop that DEROS 90 day stuff and come home early.

If not...er.

Love you!
Jen

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home