20 August 2006

ACUs and Combat boots.

Kneepads, internal.

Elbowpads, internal.


Weapons, two each. M-9 9mm pistol and M-16A2. 210 rounds of 5.56mm, and 30 rounds of 9mm ball.


NVG, AN/PVS-14, with helmet mount carried in a drop-leg carrier along with a knife.


Another knife in the small of my back, next to the Leatherman.


UVEX ballistic goggles with prescription inserts.


Combat earplugs.


Interceptor Body Armor System with Enhanced SAPI plates, sides plates, and DAPs. Camelbak with 2 liters of water in it.

Improved First Aid Kid.


Ballpoint pen, little green notebook, and of course a novel slipped into a thigh pocket under my dropleg carrier which holds my NVGs.


Everything, barring the novel and the knives, is mandatory, as per 1st BCT policy. I am permitted to exercise discretion in which elbow and knee pads I wear, and I hate the bulky hard plastic ones, besides which they always end up as ankle pads.


We drove about 10 minutes to a neighboring FOB so that an ossifer could attend a briefing.


It’s just a thrill a minute here in Ramadi.


Holy Martyr Andrew Stratelates and his Companions, pray for us.


http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/006265.html


Discussion of the issue of civilian death in more detail than most people want. Unfortunately for some people's tender sensibilities, it is quite accurate both legally and in practical terms.


http://thelawdogfiles.blogspot.com/2006/08/that-didnt-hurt-for-long.html


In case anyone is wondering why we are seriously planning on settling in Texas on a permanent basis.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: Knee pads as ankle pads

I thought I was the only one that couldn't make those knee pads work.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Nope, unless you cut off the blood flow to your lower legs.

I spent a lot of time shooting from one knee or both knees so I had a set of pads to protect my poor abused knees.

It is not funny to be the chick wearing kneepads when out with a group of infantry. It's really not.

:-P

11:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home