18 December 2006

Boredom

So, even though I don't have the reasearch materials handy, I've started my New Project. . . which will be loosely set in the 5th century AD in Britain. There's a lot of questions I don't have answers for, but I'm acquiring the resources slowly. Still, plot and character development are the real challenges in fiction and not so dependant on details of social and economic structure. Or, well, some of them are. Never mind.

Don't get me started on the work I've having to do to tone down D&D 3.5 ed to the level I want it to be for this setting. Going after the rulebooks with a flamethrower.

Finish Lord Jim. Love the book. Really, really outstanding story. Can't recommend it highly enough. It's a pity Conrad isn't taught more in school. Of course, the values of Conrad's character might not be in keeping with the fluffy bunny crap the liberals running the teacher's unions believe in.

My morale is considerably improved. I got the package from my grandmother with the divinity and the home made fudge. Neener, neener, neener.

6 Comments:

Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

If I haven't mentioned it, I really enjoyed our conversations yesterday about this, on the phone and chat.

I love you.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm.... I thought you didn't like smelly barbarians running around with axes?

Next time I go to the Catholic University library, I'll see what I can find on colonial Brazil. I have a ton of stuff on Barbados, Jamaica, etc, but Brazil was outside the purview of my class.

I haven't done much new with my Altria or pseudo-B5 campaign settings. I've been mostly designing stuff for my first campaign setting, Pyla.

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh.

So what I just noticed, trying to set the background levels of 3.5 to match the early 14th century, is that using sword and shield, is umm... how to put this... impossible under the standard rules?

'Tis to laugh. Or weep. That works, too.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Err, previous comment should read "spear and shield". Sleep now. :b

8:08 AM  
Blogger Sophia said...

Hi. Did you get the comment I have been trying to post for the last few days?

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in a D&D 3.5 (Eberron) game. The more I learn of the rules the more I like GURPS. I'll grant WOTC is a much better marketing machine than SJG.

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home