15 October 2006

Wierd stuff in the mail

I read an article in the Stars and Stripes about care packages lately, and they had some anecdotes about wierd stuff people have gotten, like the female Soldier who recieved 50 boxes of 1,000 toothbrushes each. What on Earth the company (for it was indeed a toothbrush manufacturer who sent them) thought she would do with 50,000 toothbrushes, I cannot imagine. Toothbrushes are a common component of "any Soldier" care packages. I don't go through a toothbrush a week, and I don't know anyone who does. YMMV.

My mother, of course, manages to top all the stories in the paper by sending 3 pumpkins for Halloween. Packed in straw (both padding and seasonal decoration) and sealed in Ziploc 1-gallon bags, all three managed to survive the hazards of the Military Postal system.

So I have pumpkins in my arms room. And a bag of candy to hand out to anyone who comes in the Arms Room on the 31st.

On a somewhat more practical note, I also now have a couple month's supply of coffee, between my wife and my parents. This makes my mornings much better than they have been.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I speak for all your readers when I say that we want pictures of the pumpkins.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Consul-At-Arms said...

Since I was with the multi-national division and trick-or-treat is an American custom, I went the extra kilometer and delivered trick-or-treat candies to my Coalition partners around the base.

12:41 AM  
Blogger Zero Ponsdorf said...

Yeah, pictures!!!!

OTOH, the idea of trick-or-treaters coming into the arms room for candy made me fall out of my chair.

Other than you-know-who (who is dying to dress up for SOMETHING), what costumes do you expect, and how will they be armed?

Sometimes I just crack myself up.

2:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just FYI, that was your DAD, not your mom who sent the pumpkins, etc.!!

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The concept of pumpkins and small amounts of C4 is intriguing to me.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you liked this, wait till you see about Christmas. ;-)

4:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great, what are you going to buy from me to send him for Christmas? A herd of animated reindeer, perhaps?

4:53 AM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

Oooh! I've got some ideas, but it's going to require a drill.

6:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What size?

8:09 PM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

What size drill, or what size reindeer?

:-D

We love you, John!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home