14 October 2006

The Rainy Season has begun

Yesterday, it stormed. Dumped buckets of rain in a brief time, and then rained off and on the rest of the day. It rained a bit overnight, and it basically looks like the rain is here to stay.

For those who havn't experienced a Middle Eastern rainy season, it's hard to imagine. But remember that this area was the cradle of agriculture and is referred to as the "Fertile Crescent". It is extremely hot and extremely dry during the summer. But when it rains, it doesn't play around.

The little area of offices where I work basically shut down for an hour or so yesterday as everyone came out to watch the rain. We havn't seen it since May. We were also laughing about how those Gators a lot of Senior NCOs are in love with are going to be a little less popular in the pouring rain.

Iraqi mud smells different. I don't know why, probably the different plant life or something. It's not bad, it's just different. I remember last night walking around enjoying the coolness and the dampness and the smell.

I know I'm going to hate the damned mud here in a few weeks. But for now, I take what I can when I can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home