31 December 2006

It's a small world after all. . .

So I'm talking to the Orthodox chaplain yesterday, and I mention that my home parish is in Austin, and he asks which one. I say, "Holy Transfiguration Greek Orthodox," and he says, "Father Jordan Brown?"

Turns out they went to school together, so this sets off a round of 'do you know this person and that person and. . . " Since he was at Holy Trinity in Dallas when Fr. Jordan was there, and his spiritual father is the priest (whose name I cannot for the life of me remember) who is the recently retired priest there.

I love this sort of thing.

I had a "Be Prepared To" mission at 0200 this morning so it looked like I wasn't going to be able to attend liturgy at all. Fr. John (or Lt. Cdr. (CH) Kalantzis, if we were to be all official) decided to do a liturgy yesterday. Totally unscheduled, and I was the only one there. It was too cool, especially since we used the Greek tones and did some of the hymns in Greek. I think Greek just rocks, as a language. Personal preference, but there it is.

Then at midnight, the mission is cancelled, and I get to go to liturgy. Again.

God works these things out this way, if you let Him. When I was freaking out about this stupid mission that was going to make me miss the service, it was insurmountable. As soon as I stopped stressing and put it in God's hands, everything fell into place.

I'm working on carpentry during they day. I'm essentially turning a QUADCON (shipping container) into a customized gun cabinet to get all our sensitive items to Ft. Hood.

Oh, and my Beloved freakin' rocks. I'm loving the books she bought me for Christmas.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sophia said...

That is too cool about the services working out! I'll have to tell Father Jordan that you met Father John when I see him at St Basil's Liturgy tomorrow morning. Happy New Years and God bless you and your wonderful wife!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home