21 November 2006

Dear Mr. Rangel

For the record, as a Noncommissioned Officer in the United States Army, I do not want your scuzzball son or the pot-smoking spoiled brats in his peer group in my beloved Army.

I do not want sulky conscripts, I do not want the fat and the stupid, and I most certaintly do not want those with criminal records. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here, with me, in Iraq. I don't want those who failed to become adults because of your incompetent parenting techniques and expect the world to be handed to them on a silver platter without any effort.

Thanks for the offer, but I just don't want them. You created them, you deal with them.

4 Comments:

Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

<~~~~~ What he said.

3:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It used to be that enlisting was an alternative to a criminal record. I have mixed feelings about this.

I know that the Army does NOT need criminals. But I wonder about 17 or 18 YO's who might otherwise have petty crimes on their record.

For example, I knew a kid who was busted for spray-painting a rival high-school the night before Homecoming. He was a good kid, but stupid. He got 4 years for Criminal Trespass and Vandalism. I wonder if he would not have otherwise made a good soldier--or perhaps Marine.

That program ended with the AVF in '71. I wonder if, in limited circumstance, it could be resurrected.

Many states are offering a form of Boot Camp as an alternative sentencing option. Most of their graduates do very well afterwards (like 90%). It is a shame that such graduates are ineligible for military service.

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a criminal record, and every superior I've ever had said I was an exemplary soldier.

I don't want the weak and the ones with some sort of misguided sense of entitlement further pussifying our Army, even though I doubt many of them would end up in Combat Arms.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Soldier Grrrl said...

An my experiences, even in the CA side of the house are different from yours, Shawn.

I realize that you know the world revovles around you and your experiences, but you *might* want to consider that John's got a bit more experience in dealing with soldiers, in the CA field, at that, and maybe, just maybe assume he's not talking out his ass.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home